Huntoon Stables offers a program for Scouts who are interested in learning about horses. We are on a list of approved stables with Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois and Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and North West Indiana councils. Our program runs approximately two hours and we cover the following topics:
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS FOR GIRL SCOUT & BOY SCOUT TROOPS
- History of horses
- Everyday care of the horse
- Different breeds of horses
- Long term care of the horse
- How horses helped develop our country
- Safety around horses
- Proper clothing when riding
- Proper grooming
- Tack styles
- The purposes of good grooming
- Safety while grooming
- How to mount and dismount your horse
- How to properly place your feet in the stirrups
- How to hold your reins
- And then, you RIDE!
- Each scout will get to ride two times around our indoor arena, but they will be lead while riding.
- The cost is $10.00 per Scout. There is no charge for leaders and leaders will not be allowed to ride.
- Each rider needs to wear long pants (preferably jeans); a shoe that ties, velcros or otherwise fastens on plus a helmet. Both councils have riding helmets available for your use or we will allow a bike helmet for this program.
We conduct this program on Saturday afternoons from 4 to 6 P.M. and only on certain Saturdays.We operate a large lesson program throughout the week and are not able to conduct special programs on weekdays or earlier on Saturdays. In addition we travel to horse shows and parades on some weekends plus conduct special classes for Park Districts on some weekends. Therefore, we are only able to schedule Scout programs on a limited number of Saturdays throughout the year. We schedule more than one troop at a time and limit the size of the program to about 35-40 children.
- Call us at 630-844-3533 or complete the following form to add your name to our waiting list. As we know which days we have available, we will notify you so that you may pick a date that fits your schedule. DOWNLOAD OUR RIDER RELEASE FORM
THE FOLLOWING DATES HAVE OPENINGS
Tentative available dates for 2013:
BOY SCOUT & GIRL SCOUT APPLICATION FOR DATES
This form is to place your name on a list to be called. It is not a reservation form.